This bar is crumbly, and sweet, it is great mixed with coconut mik yogurt, and fares well in a lunch box.
This recipe is from http://www.glutenfreevegan.com. It was a huge hit in my house…
I only used a .5 cup of brown sugar and added extra dates, I didn’t use white sugar at all. If the dough isn’t sweet enough, you could add a tablespoon of agave. I also used coconut oil becasue I am not a huge fan of vegan margarine.
1½ cups gluten-free rolled oats
1⅓ cups gluten-free flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup vegan margarine or coconut oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1½ cups chopped dates
⅓ cup organic cane sugar
⅔ cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8 baking dish.
- In a large bowl combine gluten-free rolled oats, gluten-free flour, brown sugar, vegan margarine or coconut oil, baking soda and kosher salt. Mix together until crumbly. Press half of the mixture firmly into the greased baking dish. Set aside the remaining half.
- In a saucepan combine chopped dates, cane sugar and water over medium heat. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer over medium-low heat. Simmer for about 5 – 10 minutes until the liquid is almost evaporated, the mixture forms a nice thick paste and the dates are softened.
- Spread the filling evenly over the crust in the baking dish. Smooth to the edges.
- Sprinkle the remaining half of the crumble mixture over top. Press gently but firmly into the filling.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes until the topping is golden brown.
- Let cool before slicing and serving.
They don’t photograph well, mostly because they get eaten so fast. It was hard to get a picture.